Monday, November 17, 2008

New Year Resolutions--Part 1

I love new year resolutions. I don't care that they get broken I just love the idea of thinking through what changes I might make in my life in the new year. Eventually some of them actually happen. After years of putting, "start exercising" on my list I finally feel like I have accomplished that. Of course now I want to improve the process but I do now exercise and that is something. And regular quiet time is something I am always striving to do and improve. This year I made a goal to read through the bible in a year. Not the first time I have desired to do this or even the first time I have started it (I made it to Job 3 or 4 times) but I preservered and now with only 44 days left of the year I am on track to accomplish that goal.

So here I am at the end of 2008 feeling accomplished with my bible reading goal but now starting to wonder what I will do on January 1. What I learned this year, and really have known for years, is that if I don't know what I am going to do in quiet time I am far less likely to have one. I need a plan, a task, a to do list, a box to check off. So what do I follow up reading the whole bible with? Should I read it again? I enjoyed it but don't feel like I want to do it again next year. I learned alot but I did miss more indepth studying of the bible. And now having this great overview I feel like I will be able to study the bible with more understanding. I also felt like because of my task oriented approach I lost some of my prayer life to my bible reading. SO, I am planning to make 2009 the year of prayer. But again I need tasks. I need books to read, passages to study and pray through. I don't want my year of prayer to cause me to walk away from the bible. I don't want to just spend a year praying for other people and never crack the bible. So it will be both time in prayer and time studying prayer.

So that is the concept. How do I put that into a plan? I have 2 books on prayer by Stormie Omartain. "The power of the Praying Wife" and "The Power of a Praying Parent". Each has 30 chapters so that is 2 months down and 10 to go. I would like to spend some time praying through some specific scriptures. I am thinking of trying Ps 119. I would love to find a book or some online resource on that. The reading I am doing has me going through the Psalms on Sunday's and I think I will continue that. A friend suggested Pray! magazine which I bet would be full of ideas so that will be on my Christmas list. Are there any suggestions to help me fill my year?

4 comments:

  1. you are so deep.

    I think Randy has a sermon series on prayer...you could probably look it up on our website perimeter.org and download it, or i will look into it for you and see if it would enhance your goals..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a study a few years ago on praying through the Psalms - I think I still have the workbook - I'll bring it to the tea and you can see if it's something you're interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't you think its time for a new post?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your New Year's Resolutions. It is inspiring to know and believe I will one day be exercising consistently.

    ReplyDelete