Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I Need Africa

Next summer I am going to Africa. I don't know how yet. I am trusting God to work out the details while I try to be faithful with where I think he is leading me. Something that scares me a little but in a good way. Today I was lurking around in strangers blogs when I came across this post by a woman who went to Africa after begging God to never send her there. Thought I would share:

I need Africa

I posted a comment there you could find but I will cut and paste for you. Read her post first.

My comments:

Wonderful post. I actually am having the opposite where I felt God preparing me for Africa since my son was 5, starting first with simply a desire to take a family trip and then realizing it would have to be a mission, and have been amazed to see him unveil the plan over the last 9 years. 5 years ago we joined an Anglican Mission in America (AMIA) church which is a mission organization out of Africa, something my Baptist upbringing never would have imagined. I immediately knew this was how God would send me to Africa although I didn’t know the details at the time. Now we are planning a mission trip to Kenya summer 2009 and the entire family is planning to go.

As we have worked with some Africans in our church to plan the trip I have gotten this exact sense, that I need to go more than they need me there. Yes they need the financial help we will bring and the work we will do and the hope our presence gives but they also understand what it will do for us and how much we will change. They want us to go for us as much as for Africa. So I try not to feel too guilty that I am doing this because I really want to see Africa and worry that I might get more out of it than I give

No comments:

Post a Comment