Friday, June 15, 2012

Poetry in my Soul

I have been reading through the Psalms lately.  I don't know why, just seemed like the thing to do.  Honestly I have a love/hate relationship with poetry.  I want to be one of those people who just "gets" poetry, feels it in my soul.  I want to be all deep and romantic.  Describe my feeling and experiences with beautiful words.  But the truth is I do not think that way at all and I have to think really hard and really concentrate to follow the theme of a poem and get any meaning out of it.  Frankly my mind tends to wander a little when I read poetry.  And so it is with the Psalms.  And then you get to Psalm 119!  There is zero chance I can keep my brain focused on a poem for that many verses!  So I only read a few sections a day for a few days.  Which allowed me to still be engaged 81 verses into the Psalm when I came across this:

"My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word."

Today I don't really have anything deep to say about the meaning of this verse, although it does have a lot to think about, instead I would just like to bask in the beauty of the words.  When I read it I feel like I am reading Anne of Green Gables.  This is the sort of thing Anne would say and mean with all her heart.  In some ways I find it funny how overly dramatic she was yet I have always been drawn to the passion she expressed for life and the world around her.  And when I think about Anne and how she would totally experience the emotion of this verse it makes me want to jump in and think about the emotions surrounding my desire for Christ and His salvation and the hope I have in His Word.

It really does make my soul feel faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment