Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The view from above

All spring, back when I didn't know I was about to start working full time, I kept taunting my husband with my plan to build a tree house this summer.  I kept telling him Jake and I were going to do it.  We would build it with stuff in the garage.  He kept insisting we didn't have anything laying around the house to build a tree house.  It was a little thing we had going.  Of course he was scared because history reveals he really would come home one day to some loony contraption nailed to the side of one of our trees.  I am not about engineering perfection.  I am a "git 'er done" kinda gal.

Then I got a job.  And I had to admit I didn't know how I would build a tree house without John looking.  I figured my dream of a tree house for Isabelle would have to wait another summer.

I read the book, "Last Child in the Woods" a few years ago and I am obsessed with my children climbing trees, having tree forts and running through the woods risking life a limb to experience nature.  Just a little random trivia for you.

Somehow my wonderful husband must have sensed how serious I was about the tree house plan and how sad I was Isabelle wouldn't get one because that first week I was working I came home and found he had been doing this all day:


The Proposed tree house tree

Stuff that WAS laying around our garage!  I knew it!



Probably a more stable base than I would have built.




Just the right size for one little girl to sit and enjoy the view.

Loving every minute of it.

4 comments:

  1. What a lucky girl! Glad the thought became an actuality!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a while since I came over to visit, and I'm so glad I did today! You've won my heart. :) You & your hubby.

    I also read "Last Child In the Woods" and found my view of things changed quite significantly by it. We don't have any trees nearly that big in our yard, unfortunately. :( But we do have a creek that my kids like to throw rocks in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mel, you set a good example. You must be related to Mike. Let them run free and be in a tree house with no railings. :) I've been trying to be more relaxed about their safety so today I left the baby in her car seat on top of a picnic table. I thought, "she's safe, she can't go anywhere and she loves the view from up there." When I looked back at her a few minutes later, a friend of mine had moved her to the ground. :)

    ReplyDelete