Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Daily Thanksgiving

It is November.  Notable for 2 reasons.  One, Thanksgiving and Two, my birthday.

For the past several months I have had a strong need to focus more on gratitude, on being thankful for the many, many blessings in my life and take my focus off all my perceived needs.  Trusting God to meet those needs and stop worrying about them so much.  Instead to see all the amazing ways he has blessed me every day and be thankful.

And of course I am always dragging my family along with me.  Mostly willingly. :)

I have a big chalk board in my kitchen where I write scripture verses, grocery lists, phone numbers, whatever needs jotting down.  This week I have carved out a corner for our family to begin writing down the things they are thankful for throughout the next year (or forever, we will see.)


Honestly, I know I benefit from these things I drag my family into more than they do but it is wonderful to see what they have to say as well.  This morning I awoke to discover my teenager had written, "food" on the list.  Definitely important in a growing boys life.

Here are a few things I have noted this past year from my list:
  1. A beautiful morning run
  2. The smell of fresh cut grass
  3. a smile from my daughter
  4. a hug from my son
  5. the sound of a twins game on an am radio
  6. a full tank of gas
  7. driving on a warm day with the windows down
  8. my husband's kiss
  9. little girls giggling together
  10. an afternoon at an antique store
  11. beautiful old buildings
  12. a legacy of faith
  13. a working furnace
  14. friends who encourage and support me
  15. a new job
  16. Isabelle's birth parents
  17. work for my husband
  18. spontaneous evenings with friends
  19. date night
  20. a wonderful church family
How about you?  What will you write on your gratitude list today?

I Thessalonians 5:8 "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment