Monday, November 22, 2010

40 years of gratitude

Today is the day!  Happy Birthday to ME!  I am 40 years old.  And for all the jokes about being old I am loving it.  I did have a girlfriend who turned 40 last year tell me it has been a terrible year.  Her hair all turned gray, she can't see anymore and she has sprouted chin hairs.  Well I guess if that is as bad as it gets I say, "bring it on!"

I have had a lovely but quiet day today.  I got breakfast in bed and my birthday poster which has become our new family tradition this past year.  I stayed in bed until almost noon finishing up the final book in the Midford series.  And then just felt like going to the como zoo and conservatory with Isabelle this afternoon so I did.  Finished the day with dinner out with the family. 

Because of our current financial state I didn't get any gifts, we didn't have a party and even dinner out was up in the air for a while but we decided to go for it anyway.  However, as I was enjoying the day doing nothing particularly special I thought of all the things I have to be thankful in life.  I don't really need more presents, I really have everything I need.  (Although I will confess my parents were generous with me this year and it did put a smile on my face.)  But my life is full.  I have nothing to complain about, only reasons to rejoice and give thanks. 

 My birthday poster.  They wrote all the things I am.  It was very sweet.
 Isabelle took my picture.



We continue to give thanks this week and on my quiet birthday I share the joy of thanksgiving with all of you:
  1. Friends
  2. soft beds
  3. healthy bodies
  4. lice treatment
  5. free tires for the work van
  6. 2 working snow blowers
  7. Knock knock jokes only a 5 year old can tell
  8. Adam, John's cousin who gave us tires and a place to fix the snow blowers
  9. Purdue, Jade's safety school which she got into this week
  10. freedom to study God's word
  11. A 5 year old trying to give rabbit ears to everyone in pictures
  12. Lazy Saturday afternoons
  13. A good book and a roaring fire in the fireplace
  14. vacuum cleaners to get up lice and nits from carpet
  15. the high heat setting on the dryer to kill nits off comforters, jackets and other large items.
  16. flat irons to destroy nits on the hair
  17. a great school conference
  18. Isabelle sliding along on the icy sidewalks
  19. Beautiful flowers to enjoy year around at the conservatory
  20. A new magazine in the mail on my birthday to cuddle up with tonight.

”holy


2 comments:

  1. Found you at Ann's ... Happy Birthday to you! 40 was a great year for me and each year just gets better ....

    Love your gratitude for the freedom to study God's word. Love this freedom too!

    Como Zoo .... I live in Mpls too and this is a favorite spot now for my daughter and grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be SO happy to hit 40! Como is our favorite zoo - we go there every year for my daughter's birthday. Love your great attitude! God IS good, isn't He??!! (I came to you through Holy Experience - thanks for linking up!)

    ReplyDelete