Monday, September 20, 2010

Just Do It

Do you ever wander around the house and see so many things you could be doing and yet each one feels so overwhelming, whether it is or not, that you just sit down and watch tv?  Or is that just me?

I had a full weekend of tv watching.  I was seriously lazy this weekend.  If I removed the last 2 days from my life there would be no affect what so ever on my future.  Saturday they played all 3 Back to the Future movies in a row and I watched them all.  I can't even recall the last time I was such a lump.  My wonderful husband, who worked all day Saturday and then joined me on Sunday, assured me that sometimes you just need to be lazy.  I am not totally convinced I needed quite that level of lazy but there it is and I can't take it back so might as well embrace it.

That paragraph was more of a confession than anything really relevant to the point I am planning to make.

So last night I am trying to pull it together because I want to start my Mondays with a picked up house and some sort of plan.  And as I am looking in the pantry to see if there is anything that might make itself for dinner I am noting how desperately it needs to be cleaned and re-organized.  But then I immediately feel totally overwhelmed by that project.  I have so much to do, when could I possibly organize the pantry? 

And then it hit me.  There is only one thing I really need to do, pass out those plow postcards I made last week.  When there is something I need to do that I haven't done, don't really want to do, am putting off or am afraid of doing I become overwhelmed by even the smallest tasks because of the weight of this one thing I am trying to ignore.  I am not actually overwhelmed by everything I am just overwhelmed by ONE thing.  But I let that one thing become everything.  How much easier if I follow Nike's advice and "Just Do It".

So that is what I did this morning.  I passed out 100 postcards in my neighborhood.  You don't realize how many houses are around you until you start passing out postcards.  I barely scratched the surface of the neighborhood with those 100 cards.

Last week I kept making excuses in my mind about the weather and rain even though by the time Isabelle left for school each day the weather was just fine.  Today when I finally get out there it was drizzling the entire time and I was a bit wet when I got home.  But the deed is done.  And it really wasn't a big deal.

There are a couple more neighborhoods where we already have jobs that I need to pass out in but now I know not to be afraid.  I will just do it.  That is my job.  And when it is done I can pray, relax and let God do the job of bringing the clients--while straightening up that pantry.

What tasks are you avoiding today?  Just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment