Thursday, February 10, 2011

Our God is a Great Big God

Why do we wait until the last minute to bring things to God?

The past couple weeks have been filled with stress.  John's stress, Jake's stress and my stress.  The three of us have just tip toed around the house trying not to cause an explosion.  Finally I called a family prayer meeting on Tuesday night.  We prayed for each of our needs and laid it all before God.  And do you know what?  Wednesday wasn't nearly as stressful.  Problems that didn't seem like they would ever be solved got solved.  Tasks that needed to be done got done and everyone seemed happier and more relaxed.  Life was still busy, stresses still existed but God was there.

Why didn't we do that 2 weeks ago?  Why don't we do that every day?

Last Friday Jake and I had an hour in the car together.  We fought about his future college plans almost the entire time.  I wouldn't let it go.  And I wouldn't hear him because I KNOW I know best.  Then after dropping him off I was praying about someone else and felt God saying, "Why aren't you praying about college?!"  I forgot.  God is in charge of college, not me.

Why do we limit God?

Yesterday my sister told me about her new job which God so clearly handed to her.  She asked, "why do we act like God is so small?"  Our God was also Moses' God.  If God could part the Red Sea for the people of Israel why don't I think He can get Jake through college without a lot of debt, drop the perfect job in my lap or help me find the perfect pair of jeans--on sale?

The kids at our church sing this song, a good reminder for us all:

Our God is a great, big God

Our God is a great, big God
Our God is a great, big God
and he holds us in his hands.

He's higher than a skyscraper
deeper than a submarine
wider than the universe
beyond my wildest dreams

And he knows me and he loved me
since before the world began
How wonderful to be a part of God's amazing plan!

1 comment:

  1. A minister preached once that before we talk to our children (more teen to adult) maybe we ought to be praying for them more than talking to them. Why is it I know what I need to do and then, like you said, 2 weeks later, "Why didn't I pray about this 2 weeks ago?"

    Perfect reminder! Thanks so much. I needed to hear this! (Car rides with these high schoolers is always dicey - it's either perfect or the exact opposite. Never any inbetween!)

    ReplyDelete