Sunday, August 7, 2011

Gardening with Melanie

Remember right before I started work when I had some sort of crisis, cry for help moment and planted a garden?  I thought you might be wondering how it was looking so I took a couple pictures this weekend:


Let's pretend it has looked like this all summer.  Weeded with the rows all still neatly lined up and I didn't weed for a hour before taking this picture.

Let's pretend I meant for the sunflower to grow through the chicken wire and turn at a funny angle so that now the chicken wire is the only hope it has of staying upright.

Let's pretend that after an hour of weeding the yard doesn't look like a yard that needs its weekly weeding.

Let's pretend that huge grassy area in the back of this photo isn't a giant weed pile we can't take care of because our mower and weed whip have gone the ways of mowers and weed whips.

Let's pretend that this garden isn't growing a huge thistle plant.


Which is so large I cannot pull it even with a gloved hand.  I think it asked me to feed it while I was out there...

So as you can see planting a garden was a perfectly logical thing to do this summer and hasn't at all called out my failures on a regular basis.  The truth is I just planted that lettuce to look at and planned to let it grow beyond its ripeness and let it rot in the ground.

Although I have to admit that getting outside on a beautiful Saturday morning, digging in the dirt and getting dirty while cleaning a spot in my yard was in fact slightly relaxing.  But don't tell anyone I said that because everyone knows I hate to garden.

2 comments:

  1. Be thankful green things grow at all! We've just been desperately trying to grow grass, and after putting in more money than I would have liked to, we have officially given up and still only have about 1/3 of our yard with grass. Luckily that will be changing soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahahahahaha!!! I am laying in bed in a dark quiet house trying to stifle a cackling outbust trying to free itself from me! I am laughing so hard at this post! So funny how you wrote it and so you. Dont be traumatized when i fb post about the vegetable garden the girls started with dad a couple weeks ago, hehehe :-)

    ReplyDelete