Friday, April 26, 2013

Strength in Weakness

I've been thinking, which you know means trouble or at least a blog post...

I know my life has been stressful this past year, or two, or three, or...anyway, our life has been very full and we are in the process of making it even fuller for the next few months.  In my mind this move will make our life simpler and more relaxed. While it will do that in some areas, we will bring most of the fullness of life with us wherever we go.

This past week I was confronted with an interesting reality, other people have full busy and at times stressful lives too. It isn't just me.  Their stress may be different, what I am struggling with might be going just fine in their world while what they are struggling with is going just fine in mine, but we are all struggling. Somehow I find comfort in this.

When it is just me and everyone else is making it happen then my struggles feel like failures.  Everyone else knows what they are doing but I am screwing up.  I am lame and clueless and have nothing to offer in the world.  Big "L" on my forehead.
"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Cor 12:9-10
 In my weakness I have strength.  "When I am weak, then I am strong."  I don't know about you but that is very reassuring in my life.  Since I am weak a lot.  I mess up a lot.  Yet, "I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties."  In downsizing, in job changes, in parenting challenges, in car problems, in potholes in the road, in dirty carpet, in a day I never got around to combing my hair, in too much gossiping, in too much pride, in control issues, in undisciplined days, in missed opportunities, in mistake  after mistake after mistake.  I delight in my weaknesses, "for when I am weak, then I am strong".

How were you strong today?

1 comment:

  1. Midlife Collage is looking for submissions in our free-entry contests. We run weekly, online writing contests for a cash prize at midlifecollage.com. Perhaps you would be eligible and interested in submitting a short story. Please see our Submissions page for the guidelines and contest rules. Go to our Calendar page and watch the short videos for topic ideas. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete