Thursday, June 2, 2011

The baby years

When my son was about 1 and just beginning to develop the idea of language I remember being outside with him one day when he pointed to a tree. I put my hand on the trunk and told him it was a tree. Then I had second thoughts since I was actually touching the bark. Which was on the trunk of the tree. Which has leaves and roots and grows out of the ground surrounded by grass and uses photosynthesis to produce its own food. And... There are a lot of words associated with a tree!


On top of all the new words my 1 year old was having to learn he was also learning to walk, eat, push buttons, open and close doors and drawers, make his toys light up, obey his parents, don't put fingers in light sockets and on and on.  All at the same time!  No wonder they are throwing tantrums!  It is exhausting taking in and processing all that new information simultaneously.

I should know.  I started a new job this week.  I have been overwhelmed with new information and I feel like and idiot.   I am definitely getting toddlers in a whole new way these days.  And, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if I was having a tantrum by the end of next week. 

I do have a few grown up skills to help me better navigate this toddler stage of my life than actual toddlers so hopefully it will go quickly and smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment